Monday, May 2, 2011

Oats: It's What's For Breakfast

My few, but dedicated readers.  I did not budget my postings well last week. Rookie mistake.  I gave you the HUGE nutrition hot topic of the month Monday and then just rolled over Wednesday with another post on my love affair with television programming.  Who am I? You all got it way too easy last week.  You probably checked in Friday thinking I would indulge you again.

So allow me to say I'm sorry.  Never again will I spoil you so much in any three consecutive days.  You better be enjoying this, oh what's the word...it's an expression of regret....oh yeah, apology.  I'm serious.  The last time I issued one of these, Clinton was in office and Monica Lewinsky was just another anonymous intern. I swear, most direct photos of her look like glamour shots taken by a federal penitentiary camera crew.  I'm allowed to say this because I don't take my own looks too seriously and most days I resemble Sloth from The Goonies.

Let's start this thing, shall we?

Cooking.  Some of us love it. Some of us hate it.  I would never deny that it can be time consuming, but it can also yield numerous rewards.  Now while I'm no Martha, Julia, or Giada, I can handle myself in the kitchen and that's a start.  So today I post a recipe for a breakfast item that doesn't even fall into the cooking category.  It's more assembly, sit, and serve.  It's the Chia Pet© of breakfast foods.

The Kraken
I am an advocate for eating breakfast. Having said this, I understand not everyone is like me.  Most days when I get up I tend to mimic a one-year old in the sense that within no time I will have something in my mouth.  To say I sort of require breakfast is like saying the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan are somewhat bloody.  Let's just leave at if I don't eat breakfast, it's like unleashing the Kraken.  Look out people!

Moving on.  It's been said by every cereal company and countless health professionals out there, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day".  To say it's not, would be blasphemous.  However, while I put stock in breakfast I also value the importance of listening to your body - the whole eating when you're hungry, stopping when you're full thing.  Once every three years, I myself have a morning where I arise and I'm not hungry.

I was a breakfast skipper.  During the glorious days of high school, better known as the dark ages to some, I opted out of consuming this metabolic kick-in-the-pants.  Learning to eat breakfast can take a little bit of practice, but trust me, after a while, things are going to get easier. And before I start quoting the first family of soul, the Five Stairsteps' "O-o-h Child", let me just say it's all about baby steps. Maybe it's a granola bar on your way to work.  A piece of fruit while you're in the shower. Yogurt while you write your daily email to Oprah telling her how her hairstyles through the years have changed your life.
Side bar: that is literally a link on her show's website.  "Best Lists: Oprah's Hair Through the Years". Check it! You can't make this stuff up.

Even though you may not be as calorie dependent as this blog's author, you may still enjoy this breakfast just the same.

You want me to do what with the oats?

Make this recipe the night before.  Put it in a plastic container overnight and the next morning, voilà, you have delicious oaty goodness at your fingertips that's ready to be devoured.
I've adapted this recipe from Oh She Glows.


Overnight Oats
One Serving


1/2 cup dry rolled oats
1 cup milk (skim, soy, almond)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 Tbs of Chia seeds (optional)
A dash or two of cinnamon


In your plastic container, mix together oats, cinnamon, and chia seeds.  In a small separate bowl mix together milk and the mashed up banana. Add the milk and banana mixture to your dry ingredients.  Stir well.   Cover and place in fridge overnight.


Stir up in the morning and enjoy! I like it just like this, but feel free to top with nuts, dried coconut, raisins, cranberries, peanut butter, or pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment